Like in this fur storage commercial above, every coat is special and it needs a proper care. We don’t wear fur just for special occasions anymore, during winter season it’s almost our everyday garment. But what to do with fur coats during summer and spring? Where to put them, how to store them? A plastic bag in a cupboard is not an option.
If you look at nowadays fur fashion market, you’ll notice difference between design and wearing spirit. Full-length sable might not fit every persons needs, maybe they’ll go for a lightweight mink fur jacket or just a simple garment with fury decorations. If it’s furry it is in the list of fur storage rules. As organic material it is very sensitive to temperature, humidity changes and will not last forever, unless you take a proper care of your coat. If you want to maximize your coat’s lifespan, you must fallow these ways of caring, cleaning, recycling or storing. Before getting rid of an old and damaged fur properly store it for summer season. Somehow storage is the most important part of fur care. If you provide poor storage conditions, don’t be disappointed, if you fur coat doesn’t last forever. Perfect conditions for storing you fur is 50 % humidity and 50 degrees of temperature. However it’s not possible to replicate such conditions at home. This is why professional storage companies comes to help you during summer.
Fur storage instructions
- Fur coat must be hanged on broad-shouldered wooden hanger, wire hangers might damage the fabric. Coat mus have plenty of room in the closet, it shouldn’t be crushed.
- Avoid plastic bags or rubber-lined bags. Plastic prevents fur from breathing and the natural air circulation. In a plastic bag leather dries out. Professional furrier must provide you with a special storage bag for your coat.
- A wet fur should be hanged in well-ventilated room. Do not use direct heat or radiators. Fur and leather will dry out. Every time you dry fur coat shake it ( before and after). Actually fur coats are not afraid of rain or snow, not like wool or any other types of winter garment. If your coat is soaking wet, take it to the retailer for a proper care. You mustn’t comb or brush wet fur.
- Mothproof must be sprayed only by the retailer or furrier, never do it yourself. Home cleaning and fur storage is not recommended.
- Never store you coat at dry cleaners only with professional furriers. They provide you with perfect temperature, humidity and light-control.
- Never hang you fur in a bright place because it might oxidize and change the colour.
Additional tips for preventing fur coats
- Fur must be cleaned annually by professional furriers, (keep in mind) not by dry cleaners.
- Never fill your fur coat pockets with unnecessary things. Actually it is recommended to sew coat’s pockets shut. The over-filling makes unnecessary strains and damages, even tears the fabric apart.
- Never sit on your coat, but if you have to, unbutton it.
- Keep it somewhere safe and out of direct heat ( fire, heaters, hair dryers).
- Try not to spray perfume on fur.
- Never pin jewelry into fur coat.
- Handbags and shoulder straps are not a perfect accessory with your fur garment. Bag strap might cause a friction. The strap might tear your coat’s shoulder apart.
- If there are any small rips, your furrier can repair it. Small care will prevent you from expensive future repairs.